PART OF SPEECH / WORD CLASS
PART OF SPEECH / WORD CLASS
|SUBJECT||OBJECT||ADJECTIVE POSS||PRONOUN POSS|
- John and (I) are the same age.
- John and I are the same age
- (We) teacher praised (I) and (she)
- Our teacher praised me and her
- The letter was addressed to (you)
- The letter was addressed to you
- (He) wanted only (we)
- He wanted only us
We are pleased to inform–.— that the missing order has been found.
(A) you (B) your (C) yours (D) yourself
I . KINDS OF NOUNS :
- Common nouns : table, dog, man
- Proper Nouns : France, The Himalayas
- Abstract Nouns : Charity, Beauty, fear, bravery
- Collective nouns : team, family, group, etc.
- SUBJECT : The man climbed the electric pole
- COMPLEMENT (after be, become): Tom cruise is an actor
- OBJECT OF A VERB: I saw a girl in the river
- OBJECT OF A PREPOSITION : She is looking at the dog hysterically
- IN POSSESSIVE OF OTHER NOUNS: He holds the girl’s hand tightly to show his love
- happy ===>>> happiness
- brave ===>>> bravery
- popular ==>>> popularity
- long ====>>> length
- different =>>> difference
- Produce ===>>> product, production, producer
- Act ======>>> actor, actress, action, acting
Extreme ——- should be used when the forklift truck is being operated.
(A) caution (B) cautioned
(C) cautiously (D) cautious
- Adverbs of Manner: carefully, slowly, fast, hard, etc.
- Adverbs of place: somewhere, here, there, and places after prep.
- Adverbs of time: now, soon, today, eventually, afterwards, lately, recently, now, soon, tomorrow, immediately, still, etc.
- Adverbs of frequency: always, usually, sometimes, often, seldom, never, twice a day, periodically, etc.
- Adverbs of certainty: certainly, definitely, apparently, evidently, obviously, presumably, undoubtedly
- Adverbs of degree (modify adjective or other adverbs, some also verb): very, fairly, rather, quite, too, almost, nearly, quite, extremely, absolutely, really, so, only, completely, etc.
- Interrogative Adverbs
- Relative Adverbs
THE FORMATION OF ADVERBS
- Most adverbs of manner & some adverbs of degree: adjective + ly : Slow + ly = slowly
- Final “y”, changes into “i” then plus “ly” : gay – gaily
- Final “e” stays then plus “ly” : extremely
- Exceptions: true-truly, due-duly, whole-wholly
- Final “able/ible” drops then plus “y” : sensible-sensibly, probable-probably, capable-capably
- Final “l’ stays then plus “ly”: careful-carefully, final-finally
- Good – well
- Adjective ended with “ly”: friendly, likely, lonely, lovely, lowly have no adverb
- High, low, deep, near, far, fast, hard, early, late, much, little, direct (non time), straight, pretty, wrong, kindly, enough both function as adjective and adverb
- A high mountain——The bird flew high on the sky
- A fast car —— she ran fast
- A hard job —– she works very hard
- A pretty girl —– Indonesia is pretty big
- A straight line —- He went straight home
- A direct route —- she goes direct from Kalisat to Jelbug
- Enough time —– he did not run fast enough
=> After the verbs
– She cried loudly
=>After the object
– He finished his assignment reluctantly
=> Verb + O (for other adverbs mainly precede the verbs, but for adverb of manner precede the verbs only when the object is long)
– He carefully pick up all the broken glass which were shattered on his floor after the tornado.
=> Verb + prep. + O (can precede the prep. or after the object, but when the object is long it is always placed before the prep.)
– He looked at me suspiciously
– He looked suspiciously at me
– He looked suspiciously at everyone who had long beard
The report indicates that the Tilbrook Fund is acting properly by delivering policy advice ——- rather than announcing it to the public.
(A) privacy (B) privately (C) private (D) privatize
1. ONE OR TWO SYLLABLE/S
Ex : fast, happy, slow
2. More than two syllables:
Ex : beautiful, expensive, productive
- Before noun : beautiful girl
- After to be : She is beautiful
- Sometimes after object : He always makes me sad
- beauty ===>>beautiful
- health ====>> healthy
- danger ===>> dangerous
- history ===>> historical
- reason ===>> reasonable
2. Verb :
hear ===>>>> audible
read ===>>>> legible
eat ====>>>> edible
see ====>>>> visible
By : Asep Samsudin, S.Pd